Tuesday 30 December 2008

REVIEW: Ay Ay Picante, Chicago

Mmmmm, Peruvian food. If Mexican and Spanish food were rancheros and got together in the Andes and had a baby, it would be Peruvian food. Simple, hearty food with a nod to coastal and/ or farm living.

Ay Ay Picante is on Elston in Chicago- way out of the heart of the city and situated in a somewhat random location. There is no alcohol served, but it is BYOB and they don't seem to mind if you and your party get a little rowdy in their small establishment. The location and lack of liquor license trickle down into the food prices, which don't hover over $15 a plate. Everything tastes extremely fresh and homemade.

I had the ceviche, one of my favorite dishes EVER and was absolutely impressed. First off, the mound of tilapia was HUGE. It had to have been at least 2 cups of fish. It was tossed in the most fantastic cilantro citrus sauce, super fresh, and loaded with fresh red onion (I hate raw onion, but they were sliced so paper thin that I actually enjoyed them).

On the side was what I assume was an heirloom variety of corn on the cob. Each kernal was the size of a dime and had the most peculiar texture- a mix between a potato and corn, with a taste to match. It was super good.

The other side was a very large slice of sweet potatoe. Nothing unusual, but paired with the cilantro citrus sauce, it tasted heavenly. Even though it was snowing its ass off outside, I didn't mind that everything was served cold, it was so tasty.

My boyfriend had some sort of meaty steak dish that was piled high with strip steak, grilled veggies like red pepper, potatoes, onions- a really hearty dish that looked like something rancheros would love to gobble up. I didn't try it (gluten maybe?), but he sweared it was amazing.

This was one diner that I didn't stop making annoying "MMMMMMMMM!" noises with each bite. That rarely happens and I strongly suggest you check this place out!

1 comment:

  1. Peruvian food is awesome. There is a strong Peruvian community in my area and we often head over to El Chevere in Passiac, NJ for lunch. Whenever I find out how to make the salsa verde they serve with their rotisserie chicken I will post about it here.

    ReplyDelete